Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The New MY PLATE



USDA Presents My Plate!!
See more info here. The recommendations stay the same, but the plate brings it home! Some obvious changes: It is no longer called the "meat" group, but "protein" group meaning you don't have to eat meat to get your daily protein requirement. Also, half of the plate is fruits and vegetables. They've thrown out the term "servings" and gone with "cups" instead. So, my challenge is this: can you eat 4 cups of fruits and vegetables everyday for one week? AHHHHH!!! It's tricky, but I have tried it and challenged others to try it and you'd be surprised what tricks you can come up with.
Here are some tips:
1 cup of fruit = 1 cup of raw fruit or 1/2 cup dried fruit...see more here
1 cup of veggies = 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw, unless leafy...see more here
Choose a salad as a main dish if eating out. You'd be surprised how yummy and filling they can be. Go easy on the dressing!
Add vegetables to pasta sauces
Choose a pizza with vegetables on it instead of meat
Put fruit on ice cream
I thought I was eating enough fruits and vegetables until I tried this challenge. Each day it is a conscious effort and I don't always win, but I feel like it has improved my overall health. And snacking on these foods is lower calorie!

**Don't forget to enjoy a treat once in a while too!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, Cassi, I'll take the challenge. Oh my, when I even think about how little vegs/fruits I actually eat it will indeed be a challenge. I appreciate that it will have to be a conscious choice! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I might fail on the fruit side of it... but I will give it a shot! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete