Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chew Away!

How many of you like to chew gum? Well if you do, you're in luck! Research shows that chewing sugar-free gum is beneficial in many ways.

  1. *Fights Plaque!*

    Sugar-free gum has an ingredient called sugar alcohol in it that has shown to break down plaque. So, it's best to chew gum after meals, like lunch time.

  2. Relieves Stress

    Grind down on gum, and not your teeth (or others) when you're feeling stressed. Studies show it may relieve tension.

  3. Helps you "chews" better foods

    When you feel the urge to snack not because you're hungry but have the "munchies", sugar-free gum is 0 calories and can give your mouth the pleasure sensation it seeks from food.

***If you're like me and you have problems with your jaw (TMJ), some tips are chewing only a few times a day or gum that is very fresh. I am able to chew a couple times of day, and I reserve my chewing for after lunch or in the afternoon. My jaw seems more warmed up for the day at that time too.

3 comments:

  1. Great info! And this is totally non-scientific, but I found that chewing gum really helps me during allergy season (24/7/365 in GA). It helps keep my throat from getting dry so I don't cough as much! Particularly when working outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Now I just need to find a place to hide it from Ori...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the gum have to have Xylitol in it for the dental benefits or have I been wasting my money on Trident? :).

    - Emily

    ReplyDelete